Friday, April 10, 2009

Sleep Standing

On Tuesday night kids went to bed early. Emily exactly at 7:00 and Mordecai at 6:30, it usually is Mordecai at 7:00/7:15 and Emily about 7:30/8:00. Well when Mike and I climbed into bed about 10:15/10:30 Mordecai started to fuss. After waiting a couple of minutes to see if he was going to back to sleep Mike decided to go try to help him out. After a couple of minutes of screaming I went in and Mordecai just seemed scared, so Mike and I took him downstairs to see if we could calm him down. As soon as we came downstairs he quit crying, so about 20 minutes of squirming we decided he needed to go to bed, so Mike tried to put him back in bed and that was when the screaming started. Mike left him in his room crying and he and I read some from our books, and before I knew it(like and hour later) I was waking up to Mike and Emily whispering because Mordecai was asleep. This was about 1:30 in the morning, so Mike decides to check on Mordecai before he came back to bed. About 5 minutes later Mike comes in and tells me that it was a good thing he checked on Mordecai cause he had fallen asleep standing up. Yup! you read that right. He was sleeping standing up. Mike said that he was in the corner of his bed where the side rail meets the hand rail and was leaning on the rail with his head laying on his hands. Mike was scared at first when he walked in because he thought Mordecai was still awake, but then realized he wasn't. He also had a stinky diaper so Mike changed him and put him back to bed. I told Mike he should of taken a picture, or come in and got me...oh-well.

Tonight Mordecai also took his first steps. We are so excited!! For about 2 to 3 months he has been cruising on the furniture, but when we would try to coerce him to walk to us he would just dive for us. However, tonight Mike was getting him down from the dinner table and holding him with one hand when he just took a couple of steps all on his own. So of course we had to have him try walking back and forth between us, which he did and he also stood for a couple of seconds all on his own. We didn't get to practice all that much cause we have Emily and she just can't be left out. It will be a while yet until he really walks, but still we are excited for this lazy kiddo.

3 comments:

Melody said...

Wow, what a funny baby. He must have some Rogers genes in him just wait until he starts sleep walking:) Maybe you shouldn't be excited he is learning to walk. Hope you are doing well and I can't wait to see you all in May.

Kim said...

I hope for your sake that Melly's wront and that he doesn't sleep walk...it's no fun. I still think this story is so funny!! Poor little guy!

Wanda Husted said...

Hey Desi, I remember Uncle Chad babysitting us in Germany and you crying when you had been put to bed. You would cry every 5 min exactly. After a while we went in to check on you and you had fallen asleep standing up in the crib. hahaha Guess he gets it from you.