Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tender Hearted

Photobucket
In Emily's class there is a little boy named Dominic.  He has a skin condition where if he get bumped he blisters so he has to wear bandages and rides in a wheel chair most of the time.  When I dropped Emily off yesterday I noticed that she sits next to him.  He is obviously scarred because he is a boy, and a kid.  His face and skin on his arms look stretched and shiny like burned skin.  I just felt so bad when I saw him, thinking that no kid should have to go through that.  Well, when I dropped Emily off this morning Mrs. Hoff came over to me and said, "I just want to tell you how much more I love Emily.  She made Dominic come out of his shell.  I've known Dominic's family since before he was born and he is very shy, but Emily had him laughing and they blew bubbles together at recess.  At the end of the day some other little girl asked to push him out and he said no, that only I was going to do it (Mrs. Hoff), but then he asked me if Emily could push him out so I said I don't know you have to ask her.  Which is why she was pushing him out."

I can't tell you how proud that made me.  I knew she would do well at school and that she would love it, but me as her mom, knowing she didn't judge or discriminate against someone who looks different makes me feel like I am raising one fantastic daughter whom I love so much.

After we picked Emily up from school we all headed over to Costco to do some grocery shopping and lunch.  Mike's parents seemed to enjoy the kids today, and I can tell you the kids enjoyed them because they wouldn't leave them alone.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This post makes me so happy :) I can't even tell you the love I feel for kids who really go out of their way to include Jonathan and accept him. And I think Emily knows what it feels like to be self-conscious about how you look. Now she is gorgeous on the inside and the outside, and she is just awesome :)

Jason said...

Wow, hats off to Emily and her parents : ). That is honestly really neat. Go Emily!