Last night was so HORRIBLE!!! There was a group across the lake from us that was partying until 2:00a.m. I dozed off once during that time but woke up to Mike putting Mordecai back on the air mattress. From then on I went to the bathroom like 3 times. Around 3:00 a.m. I heard a noise that sounded like an animal getting into a bag of fruit and nuts. Immediately the thought came to my mind that it was the deer we saw earlier. I then kept looking to see if I could see his shadow on the tent walls, but nothing. I laid there for a while hoping it didn't get spooked and try running through our tent and trampling us. Around 3:30 a.m. I heard Marci talking and then come back from the bathroom. It was then that I decided I need to go to the bathroom again, but was going to try to just sleep. At 4:00 a.m I finally hauled myself to the bathroom because I knew I wouldn't get any sleep with that nagging feeling. When I left the tent I smelled a skunk and was so worried that it was around, but I couldn't see anything. I finally fell asleep at 4:30 a.m and was up at 6:30 a.m to make breakfast.
When I got up Marci was trekking back from the bathroom and she said they had had a terrible night too. She said she got up around 3:00 a.m. and heard something outside of her tent so she un-zipped and saw something sitting outside their kids tent. She yelled "Hey" at it because she thought it was Max sitting outside the tent but when she didn't get a reply she zipped back up and got Corey to give her her glasses. After she zipped open again they realized it was a skunk eating the peanuts that Corey left out that night. So much for my deer I thought I heard, it was a skunk. It also explains the smell I smelled that one time I was headed off to the bathroom.
For breakfast we did the whole gamut. Pancakes, eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, orange juice and milk. After we cleaned up Marci and I headed to King Soopers to buy a fly trap, we had flies like crazy, caffeine for Marci and more ice. The kids played well with Dad's and when we got back we had some PB&J's for lunch.
After lunch it was back to the swim beach where the kids had a better time. While Marci and I were shopping we bought some big floatie things for them to play with. We also built sand castles and moats and the like, but have no pictures because it was wet and sandy.
Dinner was nice and quick. We had Hawaiian Haystacks. I did the prep work on Tuesday so all we had to do was add soup and cook rice. We had some dutch oven peach cobbler for dessert and then the kids were in bed. The adults enjoyed some chat time, well I know Mike and I did. It was one of those nights of laughing and learning about the other couple...you know those conversations where when you are laying in bed with your spouse and reminisce about the evening and you still laugh and talk about how much you enjoyed it? It was one of those.
Tomorrow is check out, and so it is going to be a quick and easy cereal morning. We enjoyed this camping trip so much that we plan on doing one every year.
Easy Southern-Style Creamed Corn
5 weeks ago
1 comment:
Looks and sounds like a good time....aside from the skunk!
Post a Comment