Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Progressing

I had my 37 week OB appointment today. I met with Dr. Spears since my OB is in Nepal for the month.  Anyway, when she walked in she looked at me and said, "I think I have met with you before."  I told her that she had delivered Mordecai because Dr. Hall was out of town and that she had been the on call doctor when I was in the hospital a couple of times due to his complicated pregnancy.  Well, after she looked quickly over my chart she said, "Oh you are that one."  She was referring to my nephrostomy tube ordeal.  I kind of snickered and then she said that she had a patient get one yesterday at 26 weeks.  She asked me when my problems started and I told her 16 weeks and she was kind of shocked.  She then told me that she was trying to explain/reassure to her patient that these types of things aren't common and that of all the years the office had been open there has only been 3 cases where a nephrostomy tube was needed and besides her the most recent was 2 years ago and mine so far had been the worst.  Lucky me :)  After that little memory lane chat she checked and measured me.  I asked about having my membranes stripped since Dr. Huynh suggested that, but they couldn't because I tested positive for group B strep.  I didn't have that with the other 2 so I was surprised.  My fundal measured at 38 weeks and when she checked me I was 3cm dilated and 70% effaced.  YAHOOO!!!  She did say that the baby is face up (posterior) and that is the reason she is still so high up.  She didn't seem concerned at all about that, and just told me to sleep on my stomach as much as I can to get her to turn face down.  Dr. Spears also told me to put Kristal on notice because she doesn't think I will make it to Presidents Day to have this baby, and if I have her before the 20th Mom wont be here.  It all still seems a little surreal.  I am comfortable in this pregnancy, which is why I think it hasn't totally sunk in yet that I am having a baby at the most in 18 days.  I hope it feels real soon.  I have had some pretty strong contractions this evening which is helping my into reality.

Now for a feel good story.  This last Friday Mike, the kids and I headed down to Parker, CO for a surprise birthday party for a friend.  As we walked in I noticed another girl that was pregnant with her 3rd child.  While I was in the kitchen getting food she came up to me and said, "I'm guessing we are about the same gestation since we are about the same size tummy wise."  I told her we probably were and then she asked me how far along I was.  I responded with, "I will be 37 weeks on Sunday."  She looked really shocked and said, "Oh, I am 28 weeks." I tried to explain that this baby has measured small the whole time, but I don't think it helped.  I can't lie though, it made me feel good.  It only validates what everyone else has said , that I am tiny for being as far along as I am.  Hopefully this little girl will be a good size though.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yah for progression!! Hope things go well once you go into labor!