Monday, July 22, 2013

South Dakota Trip - Custer

We got on the road this morning about 7:30 a.m. Our plan was to leave about 7:00 a.m. so that wasn't bad. We drove for about 5 hours and then decided to stop for lunch at Subway because the kids were hungry and Ivy was done. I think I set a world record for the number of time I climbed into the back and hung over nursing her.  It was a good thing we stopped when we did because while we were eating our sandwiches a line formed that went out the door. We ate in about 30 minutes and then loaded back up for the remaining hour we had left to drive.

 
We got to our hotel (Holiday Inn Express) about 2:30 p.m. Even though check in time wasn't until 3:00 p.m. we decided to see if by chance they were done cleaning it. They weren't, so we decided to go check out the town. Just as we were getting ready to leave the front desk receptionist told us our room was just finished so we checked in and decided to go swimming, which was a good thing cause it helped to break Ruby's fever that she had started with last night.

After swimming we headed out to get some dinner. Custer is a pretty small town so we didn't have a lot of options and there weren't many big chain options that we knew would be safe. When we checked in the front desk gave us a list of local places to eat so I just picked one that said "Family Friendly".  When we pulled up to the Frontier Bar & Grill the first thing out of Mike's mouth was, "I don't think you're going to like this place."  He was right. It was a whole in the wall biker bar. I was afraid to sit down and let the kids touch the tables. There were flies flying around and no air conditioning but I sucked it up, mostly because Ivy would not have gotten back in her seat that quickly, and just tried to go with the flow. The food was okay, but the best part was that there was a juke box that I let the kids pick songs from and they danced on stage while we waited for our food.




After dinner we headed over to Crazy Horse Memorial. Mike and I don't think it was worth the money that we paid to get in because you can't even get close...but it was one of the things Mike had wanted to see.




Now we are back in our room and all in bed. Our two-room suite is pretty nice. Mike and I have a king size bed with enough room to put Ivy in her pack-n-play. In the other room there is a queen size bed and a pullout twin couch bed, that the kids fought over...go figure. We only have a fridge and microwave, kitchenette would have been nice, but we really can't complain. Mike is mapping out what we are doing tomorrow and now I'm off to bed. Here is hoping Ivy and Ruby sleep well.

No comments: