Thursday, July 25, 2013

South Dakota - Custer

Today was probably or low key day of our whole vacation. We woke up, got breakfast and then headed to get tickets to do the Jewel Cave Tour. As I was standing in line, at 9:30 a.m., I was hearing that we probably wouldn't be able to get tickets until the 12:00 tour. Just as the people in front of me were getting to be the next in line they opened another tour for 10:20 a.m. because there was so many people. We were willing to wait and do the visitor center and activities. They had Junior Ranger books for the kids and Emily and Mordecai completed their tasks to receive a Junior Range Badge and patch. Our tour started and we had an AWESOME tour guide. The cave was really neat and I was impressed with the kids because Emily and Mordecai walked the entire thing which had 723 stairs and was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Ruby and Ivy also did awesome. Ivy fell asleep before we even entered the cave and she slept the whole time, which meant I carried her. She didn't wake up until we were getting on the elevators to exit the cave. Mike carried Ruby and she fell asleep about half way through the cave.

For lunch we headed to Black Hills Burger and Bun. I overheard some people at breakfast telling another couple to go there because it was so good. I had also seen a line out the door for dinner time the night before so we thought lunch would be ideal. We got there about 1:45 and they closed until dinner at 2:00. It was a little building that reminded me of a college town joint, but thee burgers were so good and Emily, Mordecai, and Ruby had good food too.

After lunch we decided to do the Needles Highway because that was the one thing people would tell us to see when we asked recommendations. It was pretty and scary all at the same time. Luckily we were on the side of the highway that didn't have drop offs.

As we were headed back to the hotel we told the kids we could stop at the Purple Pie Place for Ice Cream. Whenever we would drive by the place was always busy so we knew it had to be good, and it didn't disappoint. Then from there it was back to the hotel for more microwave dinners and swimming. We head home tomorrow and I am a little sad that our vacation and family time are over, but glad to be going home too.

No comments: