Friday, October 5, 2012

A Whole Other Set of Problems

On Thursday this last week I had my 34 week prenatal visit.  My vitals looked awesome and I only had pain once this week.  Dr. Huynh and I discussed the amnio tap, scheduled for the 24th,  again and what to expect at my next visit.  Then it was time to listen to the baby and measure my fundal height. That's when things changed. I of course was supposed to measure at least 34cm, but was still only measuring 31cm...barely.  Dr. Huynh double checked the measurement to make sure and then said we needed to schedule and ultrasound for as soon as possible. The soonest we could get in was Friday at 10:15 a.m.  Before the visit was over though we listened to the baby, who was very active and we got a heartbeat of 158.

Fast forward to today.  It was super busy! Mordecai has a sports class from 9:00-9:45 on Friday's so we had to get there, participate, and leave right away when it was done to get to my ultrasound appointment. The ultrasound tech was running behind and as she came out to call us in Ruby tried to pull a toy with her that has a string and didn't realize she was stepping on it and some how she fell and the toy landed on her head.  So, I take a screaming Ruby into the room with Mordecai and proceed to have my ultrasound test done. They did all the typical growth scan measurements all the while the tech and I were talking about how I just have small girls. By her head measurement her estimated due date (EDD) was November 29th, and by her arm measurements her EDD was December 12th.  Its a good thing we had an early growth scan, lol. As we were leaving Ruby starts asking for a drink and I got her a small one while I put her toy back.  Well, that didn't work cause she was mad we weren't taking the toy home and she starts to cry and spills and then dumps her water. Everyone in the waiting room, which was packed by the way, just laughs. My only thought was, "Don't laugh! Help me out. Can't you see how my day has been going?" Anyway, we got home around noon had lunch and put Ruby down for her nap. During all of this I am waiting for a phone call from Dr. Huynh to discuss my results. After nap time we needed to head to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner, we were signed up for the Elders, when I got the phone call from Jessica the nurse. She said that Dr. Huynh wanted to know if I could come in to the Lafayette office.  I automatically assumed she meant for my next appointment and I said, "Sure, when?" and her response was, "Now". She then said they wanted to hook me up to a monitor to do a Non-stress test (NST). WHAT?!?!?!  I told them I would be there, but that I needed to find someone to pick Emily up from school since she was going to be out in 45 minutes. Marci, one of my favorite people, came to my rescue and grabbed Emily for me.  I headed out to pick Mike up to help with the younger two, and just in case things were bad.

We got to the office and Jessica hooked me up to the monitors. She explained they were looking for two elevated heart beats after movement, which by the way took 30 minutes and 2 juice boxes to get. I asked what was going on, and she said she didn't know but that Dr. Huynh would be in to talk to us. I was shocked to say the least. I thought things would be fine, just like they were when I was pregnant with Emily.  Dr. Huynh came in and explained the results from my ultrasound that morning. She said that I should be measuring 34cm and that I was only measuring 31cm, which we already knew. Then she said that by the scans of the baby the head and leg bone measurements were fine, but her belly was measuring small.  It was supposed to measure around 34 weeks and 4 days by the scan, but that I was only measuring 32 weeks and 2 days. She also said her estimated weight is 3 lbs. 12 oz. when she should be almost 5 lbs. Then we were told that the tech measured the artery flow to the baby (umbilical cord) because there were signs of concern. Those measurements were fine. I was 2.38 and normal should be under 3.5. SO why the NST? Because her heart rate combined with her being really small are cause for concern on her health.

So now what? I have scheduled NST's two times a week on Tuesday's and Friday's, along with dopplers every Friday and weekly visits on Tuesday's with Dr. Huynh. Also, if problems arise there is a good chance they will have to take her earlier than 37 weeks. The other news...I don't have to have an amnio tap anymore. Reason being is that Dr. Huynh called a really good doctor friend and discussed my case. This doctor friend told her that all these problems that arose today trump needing an amnio and that she thinks we need to have the baby come at 37 weeks no matter what. So, Dr. Huynh would like to take her on the 23rd if there is an opening in the L&D unit, but if not for sure on the 24th at 6:30 in the morning since that was when my amnio was scheduled.

Chances are she is going to be 5 pounds or less, and that worries Mike and I, but that is what all the doctors in the practice and the specialist friend/doctor feel is best for me and the baby's health. So much for an easy pregnancy, or a less complicated pregnancy than Mordecai's.  This one has her own issues, and she is coming early whether we like it or not. :)

In happy news, my good friends threw me a shower/GNO Thursday night where we just chatted and snacked. It was fun and I was spoiled with tons of cute outfits and lots of diapers and wipes.

4 comments:

blondeviolin said...

Well, at least we live in a time where these things can be done!

The 23rd is a good day!

Hannah said...

:( On the bright side, at least you only have three weeks of practically living at the doctors office. Wish I was closer to help.

Melody said...

What a stressful few days you have had and will have in the next few weeks. I'll be praying for you and the baby.

Jason said...

Man, you have had an adventure with this pregnancy. I'm glad you haven't had more pain with your kidney stones and we're praying for you and the baby.