Friday, February 10, 2012

Pee-Wee Poms

When Emily was honored at the DU basketball game over New Years for being a "Rising Star" part of the honoring was to meet and take a picture with the cheerleaders. Since the streets were filled with water, and she obviously didn't seem to care I opted to cut out of the game early.  Bad choice. As we were driving home she starts crying and pouting about it.  I immediately told her that I thought Jill's (friend from our old ward) daughter Carrie was a cheerleader at Standley Lake and that I would call her and see if Carrie could come over. That seemed to calm things down, and I forgot about it.  Well fast forward to January when Emily came home from school and had a mini cheer clinic flier.  I  and immediately texted Jill, before saying anything to Emily just yet, and she said that Carrie was in the Poms and that they were doing a clinic in February, and that we needed to sign Emily up.  I was hoping that we would get another flier.  February came and we got the flier. I asked Emily if she wanted to do it, after already signing her up mind you, and of course she said yes.

I remember when I was like in 5th grade, and Cherstin was in 3rd my parents signed us up for a cheer clinic with the IVC (local college in El Centro) cheer leaders.  We got to perform during the half time of a basketball game.  The only thing I remember was that we made our own pom poms, and that we danced to, "Hound Dog."  I can't tell you anything else, but that we had fun, so I was game to sign Emily up.  Thirty dollars was all it cost and it included 2 practices on Tuesday and Wednesday of this past week from 6-8pm.  At the practices they had drinks and snacks, plus they had group pictures taken and an individual with the school mascot, Gators, which were given to the girls in special frames the last day.  They also got pom poms, a shirt, a hair bow and tickets for free popcorn during the game.




It was fun to watch Emily cheer during the first two periods.  She was more concerned about her pom pom strings being around the handle then looking forward, OCD, and she did an awesome job following her leaders during the dance...especially since they only practiced two days and had a day off in between.  It was fun for Mordecai to be at the game even though he kept asking for the boys to come out and play, and I enjoyed visiting with Jill since I have seen her in about a year.


No comments: