It has been a while...
The last couple of weeks have been exhausting. I don't know if it is the start of school, or Mordecai being in the stage of "3's" that are hard, or what but I have been feeling like a bad mom. I did that month of no-yelling and I did pretty good. I only lost my cool or temper about 3 times. I decided that I needed to do that again, but I never made it a matter of prayer and that is why I have failed. Sadly.
Today I decided was going to be different. I think Mordecai has just needed some extra attention because we are always leaving to take Emily to school, and when we get home I am putting Ruby down for a nap and then cleaning up after our morning, and then by the time I have time to do stuff with him we have to stop so we can go pick Emily up. Then usually after we pick Emily up from school we have our errands to run so that we can get home and put Ruby down for her afternoon nap. When We actually get doing something for him it involves Emily because she is home. Poor boy, things are going to change.
So back to today. Mike called as I was cleaning the kitchen and said that he made an appointment for his back. He has been having some lower back issues so he finally called the chiropractor. I asked him if he got out in time if he would like to join the kids and I at our weekly Costco trip for lunch. While I was waiting for Emily to get out he called and said he was done and that he could meet us. YAY! The kids were so excited that Daddy got to have lunch with us. Before Mike left to go back to work I asked him if he could take Mordecai to the bathroom. He did, and when he came back out he had a funny smile on his face. I asked him what happened and he said that Mordecai sprayed about 3 feet in front of him ( he didn't want to use the urinal) and Mike had to clean it up. The best part though was that he started out leaning forward so it would get in the toilet, but for some reason he sat up and sprayed his forehead and in front of him and almost got it on Mike. Mike said that he never expected to ever say, "Mordecai, hold still I need to wipe the urine off your forehead." Oh, parenthood.
The kids and I quickly did our shopping and when we were loading in the car I told them that we were going to have a good day, and that if they were good while I put Ruby down we would do a craft. They were awesome and when I came down Mordecai was asleep on the couch, so I quickly cleaned the baseboards and quarter round. Finally we did our craft. Cherstin suggested upside down footprints to make ghosts. I had all the supplies so I was game. I had the kids roll up their pant legs while I got the paint and paper. Mordecai was first, we painted stamped and then I carried him over to the sink to wash his feet off. While I sat him on the counter I knocked off a Tupperware of old chicken tortilla soup and it splattered all over the kitchen that I had just cleaned. Remember how I said today was going to be a good day? Well I sighed and cleaned it up while Mordecai sat on the counter soaking his feet in the running water. Just as I was done cleaning up my mess I stood up and Mordecai says, "Mom! Look at this trick" and then sprays me with the sink hose thing. I gasped and calmly asked him to stop. He then goes, "that was a cool trick, want to see it again?" I did well and didn't yell or loose my cool. We finished Emily's ghosts and then cleaned up.
Overall it was a good day, and I just need to remember that my kids are young, and that I love them and need to love their stages.
Easy Southern-Style Creamed Corn
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment